Sunday, March 4, 2012

Here come the hexagons.


Butterfly garden quilt by Noela Lester

I'm very excited because my mum is moving to Bendigo tomorrow and I will have a stitching partner in crime living nearby.

Mum is a hexagon-aholic and I'm quilt-sitting all her completed quilts until she is settled. Her mission is to do hexagons every which way possible using the English paper-piecing method. This is the latest completed quilt.

Centre - fussy cut butterflies
The central "flower" consists of fussy cut butterflies surrounded by a round of alternating diamonds and triangles (see here in sage green), then rings of hexagons radiate outwards with a diamond at the end of each "row".

There are fussy cut butterflies in the outer, central rings and in the outermost borders.

There are two rounds of 2-tone 6-pointed stars which twirl and keep your eye moving around the quilt.

For now it rests on the sofa in my sewing room so I can enjoy it.

I might have a crack at writing a pattern for it too!


rings around the garden
2-tone stars